Senior DevOps Engineer
London - United Kingdom
Edinburgh - United Kingdom
Zuhlke Engineering is a global innovation service provider that helps companies achieve success by turning ideas into real-life results. We do this by developing products and services based on new technologies – from the initial vision through development to deployment, production and operation.
Our clients range from governments and the largest multinationals to small start-ups and charities: what they have in common is the need for a partner who can be trusted to deliver effectively.
Your job will involve leading both large and small teams, building close working relationships with our clients to ensure that we successfully deliver systems that deliver value and meet their expectations. You will also be looking to contribute to Zuhlke processes and culture, and to grow personally.
Your continuous education is essential for us! We know how important life-long and fast learning is, which is why we invest 10% of our turnover into developing skills and services – matching your needs and those of the company. We strongly believe in developing our skills "on the job" and we encourage this approach in particular. Zuhlke also offers a range of tailored complementary training courses, and we encourage all our team members to take advantage of the coaching and mentoring we offer.
As part of our longer-term view, we believe that diversity in the workplace benefits everyone, and we have ethical guidelines about which client industries we will work for.
Your job will include:
- Development teams are most effective when they take ownership of the full journey of their code all the way to production.
- Automation of processes is a core enabler for frequent incremental and safe delivery of features to the user. In such areas as testing, infrastructure provisioning, service deployment and operational maintenance you will be identifying opportunities to remove the need for manual intervention.
- It is the responsibility of development teams to support the operational and security needs of services in production, and to work in collaboration with Ops teams to improve these aspects. As a DevOps Engineer you will help implement services with operability in mind, understanding that feedback from running services is a key input to the development process.
- The many aspects of effectively and securely running software in production present challenges to small autonomous service development teams. An effective platform, however large or small, is an enabler for service teams in their goal of delivering features to production, reducing cognitive load and minimising handovers. As a DevOps Engineer you may be involved in implementing and supporting platform services for the benefit of other development teams, such as managing CI/CD infrastructure or automating the provisioning of hosting environments.
Skills & Requirements:
With the above in mind, we would be looking for people with experience in some or all of the following areas. We are technology agnostic, so experience with any particular tool is not essential.
- Experience working in an Agile Software delivery practices is essential
- Experience with Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment tools and practices essential for Agile Software delivery
- Experience with scripting languages for task automation is needed
- Infrastructure provisioning and/or OS Management, whether Cloud or on-prem, and related tools such as Terraform is desirable
- Configuration Management and related tools such as Ansible is desirable
- Experience with logging, monitoring and alerting tooling is desirable
- Containerisation and Container Orchestration also desirable
And Why Zuhlke?
✅ Culture of collaboration and teamwork
✅ Variety of impactful and challenging projects
✅ Professional training and development benefits
✅ Strong ethics with a focus on sustainability & inclusion
✅ Sensible work-life balance
✅ Freedom to take over responsibility
Would you like to find out more? Read our Success Stories and join the conversation on our Zühlke Blog.
If you're interested in joining us, send us your CV and start your first step into realising your career goals at a company that values talent and cares about its employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Diversity & Inclusion at Zuhlke
- Being welcome & respected for who you are.
- Being heard & appreciated for your perspective.
- Being valued, no matter your background.
We welcome people from all backgrounds, regardless of their gender, personality, national origin, race, religion, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Covid-19 Notice: We are hiring for this role despite the current circumstances in relation to Covid-19. To protect our employees’ and candidates’ health and safety, we have implemented fully remote interview and onboarding processes for candidates and new joiners until further notice. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation and appreciate your flexibility with any related changes to our interviewing process.
In the current circumstances we work predominantly remotely and with flexible working hours and we expect that this will continue to be the case in the future. This may occasionally change due to project specific needs.