Senior Data Engineer
Manchester - United Kingdom
At Zuhlke we empower ideas. We are a trusted advisor for clients across industries and help them turn ideas into smart and sustainable solutions. We specialise in digital innovation, cloud and data solutions, and have successfully delivered products such as mobile banking apps, healthcare systems and cloud-based government platforms, to name a few.
You will be part of a purpose-driven team with a passion for innovation and an appreciation for Agile principles. To cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive, we foster an inclusive team culture where each individual has a voice and is empowered to take initiative, and where we care for one another. While we have been growing internationally, our colleagues across Europe and Asia remain connected through distributed project work and our “One Zuhlke” culture.
As a privately held company run by engineers, we prioritise your continuous development and education. With life-long learning a priority, we invest 10% of our turnover in developing skills and services in an agile way – matching your needs and those of the company.
Our promise to employees and clients emphasises quality, innovation and sustainability. Our ethical guidelines and our passion for impactful solutions influence client projects and industries we work with, and underpin our focus on diversity and environmental sustainability.
Being a trusted advisor, guiding our customers towards a successful technical solution to their data challenges.
Communicating the what, why and how of proposed solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Mastering the big data world whilst developing, testing, and monitoring distributed data processing pipelines.
Extrapolating versatile data sets and sources to produce high quality, reproducible datasets in a scalable and maintainable way.
Collaborating with other data roles such as Architects, Software Engineers and Data Scientists with ease.
Understanding the needs of many types of producers and consumers for our data services, ensuring our products meet their requirements.
Delivering projects in an Agile way, building iteratively to produce value from data early and frequently.
Keeping yourself technically sharp, being open to learning new concepts and technologies.
Working collaboratively with colleagues and clients, be it onsite, in the Zuhlke office, or from home.
We encourage our data engineers to be open to learn new technology on a project-by-project basis. We are looking for Data Engineers who have a sample of the following skills and experience:
- Experience of designing, building and maintaining data products that meet the needs of data consumers.
- An understanding of common approaches to data analysis, machine learning and data visualisation so you can produce the right data for data consumers.
- Experience with a variety of approaches to data architectures (e.g. Data Lake, Data Mesh, Data Warehouse, streaming, batch processing)
- Hands-on experience with databases both relational and NoSQL.
- Familiarity with big data infrastructures and concepts for storing and processing large and/or heterogeneous data volumes.
- Practical knowledge of handling varied types of structured and unstructured data (text, tabular, graph, time-series, geospatial, image, etc.).
- Working knowledge of containerisation and public and private Cloud environments.
- Knowledgeable about information security and data governance.
- Excellent and practical data programming skills with experience in different programming languages like Java or Python.
- You have experience delivering projects to deadlines, with an emphasis on quality, ideally in client facing contexts.
You would have the opportunity to work with a variety of technologies and tools, including:
Programming Languages – Java, Python, SQL.
Cloud environments – AWS/GCP/Azure
Big Data Frameworks – Hadoop, Spark, Kafka
Databases - PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Hive
Orchestration and Containerisation – Airflow, Docker
Our work is mainly at or within an hour's travel from our Shoreditch office.
And Why Zühlke?
✅ Culture of collaboration and teamwork
✅ Variety of impactful and challenging projects
✅ Professional training and development benefits
✅ Strong ethics with a focus on sustainability & inclusion
✅ Sensible work-life balance
✅ Freedom to take over responsibility
Would you like to find out more? Read our Success Stories and join the conversation on our Zühlke Blog.
If you're interested in joining us, send us your CV and start your first step into realising your career goals at a company that values talent and cares about its employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Diversity & Inclusion at Zuhlke
- Being welcome & respected for who you are.
- Being heard & appreciated for your perspective.
- Being valued, no matter your background.
We welcome people from all backgrounds, regardless of their gender, personality, national origin, race, religion, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Covid-19 Notice: We are hiring for this role despite the current circumstances in relation to Covid-19. To protect our employees’ and candidates’ health and safety, we have implemented fully remote interview and onboarding processes for candidates and new joiners until further notice. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation and appreciate your flexibility with any related changes to our interviewing process.