Head of Competence Unit
Zuhlke Engineering is an international consultancy that helps companies achieve success by turning ideas into real-life results. To do this, we provide interdisciplinary teams, currently across Europe and Asia, to work closely with our customers to deliver solutions. In the UK, we support digital innovation. Across the group, we cover digital systems and Internet-connected devices.
Our clients range from the largest multinationals to start-ups: what they have in common is the need for a partner who can be trusted to deliver effectively.
Your job will involve the support of people’s growth, developing our capabilities, recruiting, and staffing projects. You will be looking both to contribute to the company and to grow personally. Our reputation is fundamental to our business, so our culture emphasizes quality, reliability and respect. As a privately-held company owned by past and present employees, and run by engineers, Zuhlke takes a long-term view.
Your continuous education is essential for us! We know how important life-long and fast learning is, which is why we invest 10% of our turnover in developing skills and services in an agile way – matching your needs and those of the company. We strongly believe in developing one's skills "on the job" and we encourage this approach in particular. In addition, Zühlke offers a range of complementary training courses tailored to the needs of the company and its employees. And we regularly take advantage of coaching and mentoring.
As part of our longer-term view, we believe that diversity in the workplace benefits all, and we have ethical guidelines about which client industries we will work for.
Your job will include:
- As a Head of Competence Unit you will be responsible for the leadership, the line management and the skill development of the unit’s staff, which comprises of engineers, consultants and project managers.
- You will ensure that staff are able to provide excellent results from a methodological and technological point of view in Zuhlke’s engagements.
- As part of the management team you will, while supporting the ongoing growth of the Manchester location, create and maintain an environment that fosters Zuhlke’s values and culture and that staff enjoy.
- In close collaboration with the Regional Director of the Manchester office you will assign appropriate staff to projects and engagements, ensure a high level of utilisation, and agree on qualitative and quantitative growth targets.
- As part of the Competence Centre’s management team you will shape and develop the Centre’s methodological, process and technology portfolio.
- You will represent Zuhlke as a line manager in the talent market, at recruitment events and career fairs, in particular in, but not limited to, the Greater Manchester Area.
- You have experience being in a position of line management and/or commercial responsibility in IT, product design or consultancy.
- You have good knowledge of the solution and service business in a distributed and international context.
- You have good knowledge of software engineering and consulting methodologies and approaches. You also have a good overview of technology developments and required skills in tech, especially in IT.
- Over several years in consulting services you have proven to have business sense, drive and goal orientation.
- You are an effective team worker with very strong leadership and communication skills.
- You have experience in recruitment, succession planning and retention management.
- You have a passion for continuously improving yourself and for developing high performing teams and individuals.
- You are equally strong in driving day-to-day operations as well as in thinking ahead, shaping the future of your unit and the whole company.
Your workplace is our Manchester office, with occasional travels to our London office or to other locations of the Zuhlke Group, e.g. in mainland Europe.
And Why Zühlke?
✅ Culture of collaboration and teamwork
✅ Variety of impactful and challenging projects
✅ Professional training and development benefits
✅ Strong ethics with a focus on sustainability & inclusion
✅ Sensible work-life balance
✅ Freedom to take over responsibility
Would you like to find out more? Read our Success Stories and join the conversation on our Zühlke Blog.
If you're interested in joining us, send us your CV and start your first step into realising your career goals at a company that values talent and cares about its employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Diversity & Inclusion at Zuhlke
- Being welcome & respected for who you are.
- Being heard & appreciated for your perspective.
- Being valued, no matter your background.
We welcome people from all backgrounds, regardless of their gender, national origin, race, religion, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Covid-19 Notice: We are hiring for this role despite the current circumstances in relation to Covid-19. To protect our employees’ and candidates’ health and safety, we have implemented fully remote interview and onboarding processes for candidates and new joiners until further notice. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation and appreciate your flexibility with any related changes to our interviewing process.